The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) on September 14, 2020 submitted its recommendations on Cloud Services to Department of Telecommunications (DoT). In its recommendations, TRAI has suggested regulating cloud service providers (CSPs) through a light touch regulatory regime and has proposed setting up a non for profit- industry-led body/ bodies in conjunction with DoT/TRAI.
To begin with, TRAI has recommended the first industry body can be setup by DoT and all cloud service providers (CSPs) operating in India will be mandaroty required to become its members. The industry body so created will then be required to lay down broad principles and procedure regarding its functioning. Below is the broad governance structure which TRAI has recommended:
- Scope of membership enrollment will initially be limited to those Cloud Service Providers (CSPs) offering Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS) to become members of the industry body registered with DoT, while for Software as a Service (SaaS) it will be voluntary
- Channel partners of the CSPs may also be eligible to apply for membership however it will not be mandatory for them
- An online enrollment process has been proposed for the registration of CSPs. A six-month timeline will be given for registration purpose
- The structure of industry body will comprise of CSPs, Government and industry experts
- Other industry bodies can also be setup and registered with DoT for different purposes
Detailed recommendations can be accessed from here
Earlier TRAI had sought feedback from the stakeholders on the possible framework for registration of industry body for cloud service providers including terms and conditions of registration, eligibility, entry fee, period of registration and governance structure. NASSCOM had also participated in that consultation and gave its detailed submission to TRAI (available here), advocating against putting any additional regulations on CSPs by the Government either directly or indirectly.
For any feedback/ inputs, kindly write to Deepak Arora at firstname.lastname@example.org
The post Policy Update: TRAI recommendations on Cloud Services appeared first on NASSCOM Community |The Official Community of Indian IT Industry.