In the fast-paced world of technology, staying ahead of the curve is crucial for businesses looking to thrive in the ever-evolving landscape. The year 2024 is set to be a defining one, with a slew of strategic technology trends identified by Gartner that promise to revolutionize the way we operate, protect our investments, and meet the needs of our stakeholders.
These trends will significantly influence our decision-making processes and impact our organizations over the coming years. In this article, we will explore these trends and how they can be harnessed to achieve business goals.
Top 10 technology trends for 2024
- AI Trust, Risk, and Security Management (AI TRiSM): In a world where AI plays an increasingly central role, ensuring trust, risk management, and security is paramount. AI TRiSM programs will help integrate governance upfront, ensuring compliance, fairness, reliability, and data privacy. Trustworthy AI systems will drive better outcomes and ensure user acceptance.
- Continuous Threat Exposure Management (CTEM): In the fast-paced world of cybersecurity, a CTEM program is crucial for identifying and prioritizing threats that pose the most significant risks to your business. As per Gartner, by 2026, organizations prioritizing their security investments based on a continuous exposure management program will reduce their likelihood of suffering a breach by 3 times.
- Sustainable Technology: Sustainability is no longer just a buzzword. By 2025, half of CIOs will have performance metrics tied to the sustainability of their IT organization. Sustainable technology not only optimizes costs and energy performance but also contributes to ESG outcomes, improving wellness and ensuring responsible business practices.
- Platform Engineering: Platform engineering accelerates application delivery and enhances business value. Gartner anticipates that by 2026, approximately 80% of software engineering firms will institute platform teams, serving as in-house sources of reusable services, components, and tools for application delivery. Platform engineering can resolve the pivotal issue of collaboration between software developers and operators.
- AI-Augmented Development: AI-powered coding tools empower developers to write higher-quality code by recommending the best code fragments to meet requirements. By 2027, 70% of professional developers are expected to use AI-augmented coding tools.
- Industry Cloud Platforms: Industry cloud platforms combine tailored, industry-specific functionality with traditional cloud services to address vertical challenges. According to Gartner’s projections, by 2027, enterprises will leverage industry cloud platforms to expedite over 50% of their crucial business initiatives. This marks a significant surge from the less than 10% utilization as observed in 2021.
- Intelligent Applications: Going beyond analysis, intelligent applications automate actions and drive improvements, leading to better personalization, resource efficiency, and decision support. By 2026, 30% of new applications will utilize AI for personalized adaptive user interfaces.
- Democratized Generative AI: This trend promises to empower individuals and organizations to harness the creative potential of AI for content generation and innovation.
- Augmented Connected Workforce: An augmented connected workforce is a workforce that is equipped with digital tools and technologies that enhance their abilities and connect them to the systems they use. This will drive productivity and innovation while keeping the workforce connected and engaged.
- Machine Customers: AI-enabled machine customers represent a paradigm shift in economic interactions. Satisfying their needs can lead to significant revenue growth, while neglecting them may result in missed opportunities. CEOs anticipate that machine customers will account for over 20% of revenue by 2030.
Utilizing the trends for success
To harness the potential of these trends, organizations must assess their specific situation and integrate them into their strategic planning. By combining these technologies, businesses can maximize the value of data, attract and retain talent, achieve ESG goals, and drive growth. These trends offer a roadmap for achieving your CEO’s and CIO’s goals in 2024 and beyond.
The strategic technology trends for 2024 present a wealth of opportunities for organizations to not only adapt but thrive in an ever-evolving technological landscape. By embracing these trends, businesses can stay ahead of the curve, ensuring continued success in the years to come.